Hard waste and disposal

We promote a hierarchy of avoiding waste, reusing it, recycling it and finally best practice management for disposal to the residual waste stream.

Households can dispose of their waste using council kerbside bins but if unwanted items are too large (such as mattresses, fridges, etc.) metropolitan councils also offer a hard waste collection service.

Different councils provide different hard waste services so please check with your local council to find out what items can be put out for collection and how often. Use the council search tool below. 

(City of Yarra residents can read about their Community Resource Recovery Hubs here. Melton City residents can read about their Resale Centre here.)

Search for your council's waste and recycling services

Last updated: 03/02/2022