Litter Hotspots Program
The Litter Hotspots Program was launched in 2013 to support a catchment wide partnership building approach to reducing litter in the Yarra rivers and Bay. The fund was provided with a budget of $2.15 million from the Victorian Sustainability Fund.
The Litter Hotspots Program brought together a mix of government and community partners to achieve its objectives, using a range of activities (collaboration, networks, training, development of resources) to build capacity and deliver lasting results. A core component of the program was to provide funding grants to local government and community organisations to assist them implement strategic, infrastructure and engagement interventions to achieve the four program objectives:
- Supporting the implementation of best-practice litter prevention projects
- Developing partnerships in order to build capacity around delivery of litter prevention projects
- Improving personal responsibility for litter disposal and prevention
- Improving the amenity of public spaces that impact upon the water quality of the Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay.
In total there were three funding rounds with funding of $1.47 million to support both single-year small grants projects and a number of larger multi-year projects.
Some achievements and outcomes of the program include:
- 35 funded projects resulting in 267 new organisational partnerships
- significant litter reduction (up to 96.8%) at 436 hotspot sites
- over $2 million in cash and in-kind contributions from funded organisations and project delivery partners
- over 179 tonnes of litter collected (including over 1.29 million cigarette butts)
- over 382 media articles and publications about fund projects as well as numerous educational resources
- collaborative research into emerging issues such the marine impacts of microplastics
- research and development of new cost effective litter collection technologies
- input into the Victorian Litter Plan and program delivery including the Victorian Litter Innovation Fund.
A video focussing on how the Litter Hotspots Program brought agencies, stakeholders and delivery partners together to build connections to achieve positive environmental outcomes.
'Protecting Natural Habitats'
'No Butts About It'
'By The Bay'
Last updated: 10/10/2017