Join the refreshed Back to Earth Initiative
The Back to Earth Initiative is a social marketing campaign encouraging greater take up and acceptance of green waste and food waste recycling by Victorians. Since 2013, 28 Victorian councils have participated in the initiative, which is managed by MWRRG.
To date, the Back to Earth Initiative has focused on the launch of a council’s green waste recycling service and running the garden competition to promote it. After this burst, activity has usually slowed.
Achieving change in community awareness, knowledge and attitudes requires a consistent effort. Food and/or green waste recycling services are ongoing, and the community needs to be regularly reminded about how to use them effectively. Many councils now have food waste recycling and we are updating the materials available to support promotion of this service.
Therefore, we’re asking councils to commit to a higher level of regular activity. Only councils who sign up will have access to the range of resources and support, including promotion on the Back to Earth Initiative website.
By joining the refreshed Back to Earth Initiative councils receive:
- promotion on the Back to Earth Initiative website (display council logo, details of council green/food waste service, compost in action map)
- social media assets (Farmers’ Stories video stills, shell copy, content calendar, limited funding)
- Farmers’ Stories videos (six stories in 30 and 60 second versions of each video)
- events support (use of events tool kit, promotion of event on MWRRG/Back to Earth Initiative digital channels)
- compost donation (MWRRG will cover the cost of 50% of a delivery for donations which meet the selection criteria and organise delivery of compost where council covers the cost of transport)
- eligibility, resources and support to participate in the 2020 Victorian Garden Competition
- graphic design support.
The initiative complements the support MWRRG provides to councils to implement food and green waste recycling services, collaborative procurement and contract management.
A prospectus detailing the changes to the Back to Earth Initiative has been sent to all metropolitan councils. If you’ve got any questions, please contact Joshua Rule, Senior Communications Adviser Joshua.firstname.lastname@example.org or 8698 9828.
Find out more about how the Back to Earth Initiative works to encourage behaviour change here.
Last updated: 03/12/2019