The Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery Group (MWRRG) is a Victorian State Government Statutory Body responsible for coordinating and facilitating the delivery of waste management and resource recovery across metropolitan Melbourne. MWRRG was established on 1 August 2014 by s49C(1) of the Environment Protection Act 1970, and succeeds the former Metropolitan Waste Management Group (MWMG). MWRRG’s planning role is responsible for all waste streams – municipal solid waste (MSW), construction and demolition waste (C&D) and commercial and industrial waste (C&I).
Our Chief Executive Officer
Jill Riseley is a passionate advocate of sustainability and an accomplished executive and non-executive director with more than 20 years’ experience in leadership roles in the corporate and not-for-profit sector.
Jill’s extensive experience in senior roles includes complex, multi-stakeholder and regulated environments where she has led significant national consumer affairs and recycling initiatives and implemented procurement strategies in complex essential service markets.
She is a leader in sustainability and recognised for her work in combating climate change and delivering innovative and sector-wide solutions to address environmental issues in local communities.
The MWRRG Board is made up of eight directors appointed by the Victorian Government: four skills based directors are selected by the Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change, and four are nominated collectively by the 31 councils that belong to the Metropolitan Local Government Waste Forum. The Chair is appointed by the Minister and selected from the four forum-nominated members.
The Board has responsibilities that include:
- approving, where appropriate, policies and recommendations from sub-committees and staff
- monitoring, reviewing and recommending changes on internal strategies and policies
- participating in the development of the MWRRG Business Plan, Metropolitan Waste Plan, Constitution, Education Strategy and Annual Report
- considering and approving the Annual Budget
- appointing the CEO
- assisting in the development of and maintaining positive relations among the Board, committees, staff, stakeholders and the community.
Last updated: 08/03/2016